2016 Links Scholarship
The women of the Central Illinois Chapter of The Links, Incorporated are pleased to present the scholarship application for the 2015-2016 school year. We plan to award monetary scholarships to graduating high school students.
The Links, Incorporated is an international, not-for-profit organization, established in 1946. The membership consists of nearly 14,000 professional women of color in 281 chapters located in 41 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Frankfort Germany, and the South Africa Southern Region. The organization is continuously sharpening its focus and expanding its program dimensions in order to make the name "Links" not only a chain of friendship, but also a chain of purposeful service.
1. Applicant must be an African American graduating senior planning to attend an accredited post-secondary institution for the 2016-2017 school year.
2. Applicant must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale or a 4.0 cumulative GPA on a 5.0 scale.
3. Applicant must reside in the Bloomington/Normal, Peoria, or Decatur areas.
4. Applicant cannot be a relative of any member of the Central Illinois Chapter of The Links Incorporated.
5. Applicant must be a United States citizen.
1. An official high school transcript of courses completed must be mailed to the address listed below. If you are selected for the scholarship, you will be directed to provide a letter of acceptance and a copy of your official registration of first semester courses before funds are dispersed.
2. Please attach a typewritten one page personal statement.
3. Attach your response to the essay question below. The essay gives us an opportunity to become acquainted with you in ways different from grades, test scores and other objective data. It allows you to show your ability to organize your thoughts and to express yourself.
The essay should be a minimum of 500 words. Please address the question below.
"Describe something you have done in the past year that has made a difference in your community."
Essays will be judged on the following:
- The essay should be double spaced using Times New Roman font size 12.
- The response should be between 500 - 1000 words.
- Comprehension - The essay reflects a through comprehension of the essay topic.
- Organization - The essay should exhibit clarity of thought.
- Development - Concept clearly developed through critical analysis.
- Creativity - The essay should express fresh new ideas and originality of thought.
- Writing - Correct grammar, good sentence structure, spelling, punctuation and concise language.
- Essay must contain a title page, not considered text, the student’s first and last name on each page, and page numbers.
4. When completing Section III, please use the full name of awards, clubs or organizations (no acronyms). Attach additional sheets as necessary to complete Section III.
5. Attach a head shot picture of yourself [jpeg ONLY] to be used in the 2016 The Link Tea Ad book.
Please mail your transcript to the following address:
The Central Illinois Chapter of
The Links, Incorporated
c/o Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1815
Bloomington, IL 61702-1815
*If you are selected as one of the Scholarship winners, you will be invited to
The Links, Incorporated Annual Tea celebration:
Date: April 30, 2016
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Location: The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
10 Brickyard Drive
Bloomington, IL 61701
A scholarship presentation will be made to the winners at The Tea.
Applications must be postmarked on or before February 26, 2016.
- Completed application - submitted on or before 2/26/16
- Attached Essay
- Attached personal statement
- High School transcript (sent to P.O. Box)